Editing & Copyrights
We reserve the right to edit submissions for typos and misspellings, but nothing is published without your final approval, and we will honor any request to change or remove your work at any time. You maintain all copyrights and only grant us permission to publish your work on the site; if you're familiar with Creative Commons, you can use one of their copyright options instead.
- For Authors and Publishers:
- How to Send Review Copies of Books
You can review any book that has already been reviewed on this site, or any other book that meets these requirements:
- Genre: Fantasy or Science Fiction
This includes fairy tales and magical realism, but does not include horror or supernatural stories (vampires, ghosts, werewolves, demons, etc.).
- Characters: At least one point-of-view protagonist must be transgendered, lesbian, bisexual, or gay.
- Type: Novel or anthology; mainstream or small press
Self-published books are not eligible, and small-press books must be good enough to get at least a Recommended rating. Collections must have queer protagonists in a majority of stories. Young adult and children's books are acceptable.
- Format: Paperback or hardcover
Please don't submit reviews of books available only in electronic format.
- Your review must be original work. Please don't send us your Amazon or Yahoo Group reviews. If you want to review a book you've already reviewed elsewhere, please write a new, original review.
- Keep plot summaries to an absolute minimum. A short paragraph (1-4 sentences) should be sufficient.
- You can analyze the story as much as you want, but avoid giving away spoilers of any kind. Be creative! If you're still determined to tread into spoiler territory, consider writing an essay instead.
- Tell us whether or not you liked the book—and why. How well was it written? Did it keep your interest? What were its strengths? Its weaknesses?
- A review need not be Pulitzer Prize material, but make sure it's something you can take pride in.
- Highly Recommended: A book you would enthusiastically recommend to a friend.
- Recommended: A book worth reading, even if it's not the best.
- Not Recommended: A book you disliked for any reason at all.
All reviews should be emailed to Finder, preferably in plain text, but I'll also accept rtf, odt, or doc formats (but not "docx"). If the book has not yet been reviewed here, please send me the following in addition to your review and recommendation:
- publication date
- ISBN (if possible)
- brief description (e.g., Transgendered protagonist. GLBT-positive world)
If it's already been reviewed here, just send the title and author.
If this is your first review, please let me know what handle/username you want (max 15 characters) as well as (optionally) a brief bio, and whether or not you want your email address posted (all email addresses are guarded from spam-bots). If you want a link to your blog or homepage, include that as well.
We welcome original essays regarding any aspect of GLBT fantasy and science-fiction, book-related or otherwise. Spoiler warnings can be used freely, so don't hesitate to analyze your topic in depth.
Essays should be emailed to Finder, preferably in plain text, but I'll also accept rtf, odt, or doc formats (but not "docx").
Reading list topics can focus on anything of interest to readers, e.g., books that explore a particular idea, or have similar character types. Give your list a title and include any other relevant text you want to appear.
Reading lists should be emailed to Finder, preferably in plain text, but I'll also accept rtf, odt, or doc formats (but not "docx").
First, a word to the wise
Before you submit a book, please keep in mind that I cannot guarantee a positive review. I tend to be very opinionated and won't hesitate to give your book a Not Recommended rating if that's what it deserves. However, I do lend books to other reviewers and, happily, their opinions often differ from mine.
- Fantasy and Science-Fiction with at least one point-of-view protagonist who is transgendered, bisexual, gay, or lesbian. Young adult and children's books are acceptable.
- Novels and anthologies. Collections must have queer protagonists in a majority of stories.
- Hardcovers and paperbacks. We do not review electronic books.
- Mainstream and small press. Small-press books that are poorly written will not be considered for review, and no review will be posted for small-press books that don't earn at least a Recommended rating. Authors are therefore encouraged to send an excerpt with their review request.
What's Not Eligible:
- Self-published books (iUniverse, AuthorHouse, PublishAmerica, Xlibris, Lulu, etc.)
- Horror or supernatural stories (vampires, ghosts, werewolves, demons, etc.)
- Books in electronic format
If your book meets our requirements, please email Mel for contact info:
You may also email promotional material, links, news, and excerpts; but please do not sign me up for your mailing list. Thank you.
Questions, comments, suggestions, and submissions should be directed to Finder.
Last Modified January 26, 2010